Guided fishing is available, the number of rods is strictly limited, and beats are rotated. It is fly fishing only and while life jackets / buoyancy aids must be worn while boat fishing, it is strongly recommended that they be worn when river fishing, particularly with high water .
Spring salmon enter the fishery from February, with grilse starting to run in May. The salmon fishing is best from June and it fishes well after a flood.
This fishery was once renowned for the quality and quantity of its sea trout and indeed features heavily in Kingsmill Moore’s writings on sea trout. As with other fisheries in Connemara it was badly hit by sea lice and salmon farming, but there has been a strong resurgence in stocks in the last few years which has been extremely encouraging. Sea trout run the river on any flood from June on, and provide excellent sport on the lakes until the end of the season. Current legislation requires that all sea trout are released alive.
- Fly fishing only
- Maximum 2 rods on river beats
- State rod licence required- Connemara District
- One salmon may be kept but we encourage all additional salmon be released. In accordance with Conservation By law, all sea trout must be returned alive.
- Experienced local guides / ghillies are available, booked in advance.
- Tackle hire €15 per day.
- Life jackets / buoyancy aids must be worn at all times on the loughs and we recommend that they be worn on the river as well especially during high water.
- Junveniles up to 17 years of age , are permitted to fish for free provided they are accompanied by a fee paying aduly. There is a requirement to hold an annual National Junvenile State licence, costing €10(2019) obtainable from the fishery.
Salmon: 1 February to 30 September
Sea trout: 1 June to 30 September
Brown Trout: 1 February to 12 October
Costello and Fermoyle Fisheries, Bridge Cottage, Casla, Co. Galway
Tel: +353 (0)91 572196 or 0872509722
Keeper’s Cottage is a well-appointed property in the grounds of Fermoyle Lodge accommodating 4 people with a kitchen/diner, living room and two bedrooms (a double and a kingsize which can be split into two singles). There is also additional accommodation for 4 further guests in the self-contained ‘mews’ where there are two double ensuite bedrooms. Minimum stay 3 nights from 110 Euro per night for the cottage and 45 euro per bedroom per night in the mews. Please contact Mary Walsh firstname.lastname@example.org
There is many other B&Bs’ and Air B&Bs’ in the surrounding areas of Rossaveal and Carroroe.
Directions to Fishery Office:
The Fishery Office which is located at The Bridge, Casla Co Galway. It is situated just after the cross roads on the left to Rossaveal and on the right to Oughterard. Going straight brings one to Casla or Costello.